PAGES: Calendar | Rankings | Results
As the Mississippi Track and Field season reaches its peak, athletes across the state are gearing up for exhilarating competitions and record-breaking performances.
MileSplit Mississippi is here to bring you all the thrilling action, and in anticipation of the weekend ahead, we've compiled one-sentence previews to keep you informed and excited about the must-watch events and standout athletes.
Gulf Coast Classic hosted by Biloxi HS
- HS Boys 1600m Run: Features three sub-4:40 milers - Jack Hewes, an MHSAA 3A standout from Saint Patrick, Jordan Sanderson, a 4:36 miler from Biloxi, and Tate Castleman, a 4:37 miler from Ocean Springs.
- HS Boys 800m Run: Hewes and Sanderson will double back to face off against Ocean Springs' Ace Cosby, a junior vying for a top-10 Mississippi ranking.
- HS Boys Discus: Biloxi's David Donaldson headlines the field as the No. 9 ranked discus thrower in Mississippi, thanks to his lifetime best of 137-10.
- HS Boys Long Jump and Triple Jump: Lawrence North of Pascagoula will chase the double win in these events, and is the No. 1 seed in both.
- HS Boys Pole Vault: A thrilling battle is expected between Grady Westbrook of Ocean Springs and Colin Cloud of Saint Patrick.
- HS Girls 100m Dash, Long Jump, and Triple Jump: Versatile track athlete Cheyanne Alston of Biloxi could potentially add three more wins to her already-impressive season that includes 11 wins in total.
- HS Girls Shot Put and Discus: Biloxi's Shaneal Corpuz is expected to win both events by a fair amount.
- HS Girls Pole Vault: Julie Segroves, the indoor and outdoor Pole Vault state record holder, leads a strong trio who could go 1-2-3 on their home track.
- HS Girls 1600m Run: The Ocean Springs 1-2 punch of Ashton Rainey and Sarah Litton will make an appearance in the 1600m, and Rainey, a Lamar University signee, is also the heavy favorite in the 3200m run.
- HS Girls 400m: A thrilling showdown is expected between Gautier's Chloe Aultman and the Yelverton sisters, Emerson Yelverton and Addison Yelverton.
- HS Girls 800m Run: Emerson Yelverton is favored to double back and take a win over the aforementioned Sarah Litton.
- HS Girls 300m Hurdles: Kendyl White, a 300-meter hurdles stud, is likely to take the win in her specialty event.
Northwest Rankin v. Brandon Dual Meet hosted by NW Rankin HS
- HS Boys 200m Dash and Long Jump: Mississippi State signee Kennedy Stringfellow of Brandon looks to maintain his undefeated streak in both events.
- HS Boys 400m: 2022 MHSAA 6A 400m qualifier Jarvis Durr will compete in his signature event, entering as the No. 1 seed
- HS Boys 800m: Dylan Harley of NW Rankin, a 2:02 half miler, aims for victory on his home track.
- HS Boys Discus: An exciting battle expected between Brandon's Jacob Garner and NW Rankin's Mikai Kelsey will take place, as both athletes have lifetime bests a mere four feet apart.
- HS Girls 100m, 200m, and 400m: Recent Southern Miss signee Addison McLaurin of Brandon will likely showcase her extreme talent and sweep all three sprinting events.
- HS Girls 800m and 1600m: Lauren Entremont of Brandon, the 2022 MHSAA 6A 1600m runner-up, could lead another Brandon sweep in the middle-distance
- HS Girls 100mH, 300mH, and High Jump: Brandon's Tatiana Jones, the reigning MHSAA 6A 300mH bronze medalist, is one to watch in all three events.
Oxford Invitational hosted by Oxford High School
- HS Boys 800m and 1600m Run: MHSAA 6A distance standout Bailey Kosko, a 4:29 miler from Oxford, looks to have a field day in both events on his home turf.
- HS Boys 100m, 200m Dash, and Long Jump: Carlando Crump of Senatobia seeks to maintain his undefeated streak in all three events. However, Crump could potentially be challenged by Water Valley's Saveon Freeman in the HS Boys 200m and Long Jump.
- HS Boys 110mH and 300mH: Senatobia's JaBrysten Abram, the current state leader in the Mississippi High School Boys 300mH, looks to continue his winning streak in both events.
- HS Boys Discus: Reigning MHSAA 4A champion Chavarius Garrett of Senatobia aims to continue his undefeated streak in that event, but will be challenged by Oxford's Alvarado Nixon in the HS Boys Shot Put.
- HS Boys Pole Vault: Cade DeWitt looks to take another road trip to Oxford and join his future training partner John Scott Kendricks as they compete in the pole vault. Kendricks will likely make an attempt to raise his state record in the event
- HS Girls 100m Dash: Carmen Owen of Pontotoc looks to secure back-to-back wins following her victory at the Pontotoc Invitational.
- HS Girls 800m and 1600m Run: Oxford's Maggie Irwin will go for the double-win on her home track.
- HS Girls 400m Dash: Oxford's Sparkle Caldwell will have a crack at the 60-second barrier.
- HS Girls Discus: Senatobia's Meagan Richardson leads a potential 1-2-3 sweep for her team.
- HS Girls High Jump: A close competition is expected between Tiara Leverson of Holly Springs and Pontotoc's Mackaly Brown Pontotoc, both with lifetime bests of 5-2.
- HS Girls Long Jump: MHSAA 1A standout Adrianna Branch of Booneville enters as the No. 1 seed, and will be one to watch.